The framework consists of three parts: long-term goals, a planning and monitoring system, and a climate policy council. Parts of the framework are regulated by a Climate Act, which came into force January 1 2018. The overarching climate target is to achieve zero net emissions of greenhouse gases by 2045 and hereafter negative emissions. Emissions from Swedish territory are to be at least 85 percent lower 2045 than they were 1990. Based on current populations forecasts for Sweden that corresponds to emissions of less than one tonne per capita. The remaining 15 percent may be covered by carbon sinks or emission reductions abroad.

Impact indicators:
  • 1
    Name: Share of renewables (%)
    Value: 19.7
    Base year: -
    Target year: 2025
    Comments: {{{Comments}}}